ESC is a consulting group that utilizes “Concepts for Success in the 21st Century” to provide educational institutions the tools and training to help their students in the successful transition to, retention in, and graduation from college, and supports the educational initiatives of Senate Bill One. Three areas for consideration in this process are the student’s perceptions, personality, and stress management.
- Perceptions, the initial step of self-understanding, play a major role in determining how closely the first year student’s ideas and expectations about college match with the reality of college.
- Misperceptions require transition adjustments and the more adjustments the student must make, the higher the student’s level of stress and the higher the probability of drop out during the first year.
- Misperceptions and stress can lead to lower academics and college retention rates.
- Since different personalities handle stress differently, successful stress management requires an understanding of the interrelation of the student’s perceptions, personality, and stressors.
- ESC provides the tools for understanding student perceptions, personality and stressors and for gaining quantitative data for retention progress. ESC has been designated an Approved Continuing Education Provider by the National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC).